Thursday, November 19, 2009

Buddhist Sketches Vol. 2 and Snapple Sketches (Bonus)

1.
2.

3.


4.



5.




6.





7.






8.

I had a bad day today. Though of it came These sketches.. and I have an amazing girlfriend who proves to be more unconditionally supportive and loving with everyday that passes- We should all search for something everyday tht makes that day worth living; today I lived for Art and Stacy.
I promise to get something more than just sketches up soon (Writings, Photography, etc.) but right now sketching in my notebook dominates my art drive as it's a convenient and productive way to tune out my professors, who bore me unbearably. These are the sketches:
1. Notebook page: "Philosophy Notes, 11/19/09"
2. "The Noble Eightfold Path" written in Chinese calligraphy. The Noble Eightfold Path is a Buddhist teaching of the eight paths to right living and enlightenment. They are Right View, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration. I am not Buddhist but I try to live by The Noble Eightfold Path in my every day life. I, admittedly, fail to live by these as I see it almost impossible for me to do so, but I strive to do so to the best of my ability because following these eight paths truely eliminates suffering and brings about Truth and joy. I follow these more so than the Ten Commandments even though I am Catholic (call me a heretic or what have you but Jesus taught The Noble Eightfold Path as well just in a different way, do your studies).
3." The Eternal (or Endless) Knot". This is one of the Eight Auspicious Symbols of Buddhism. The knot has no begining nor end, said to symbolize the infinite wisdom of Buddha, the inter-twining of wisdom and compassion, and/or endless cycle of suffering (birth), death, and rebirth. This was more difficult to draw than I initially thought.
4. "Lotus Flower w/ Om Symbol on Pedal." Om (or Aum) is a spiritual syllable in most Indian religions, not just buddhism. The meaning is ambiguous and varies with the religion but it is overall a very spiritual syllable often hummed in a drawn out manner while meditating and placed at the beginning of mantras (for example: "om mani padme hum" seen below). I read that in Buddhism it is inappropriate to use this symbol as Aum because it is more closely associated with Hinduism though the meaning is the same, just written differently, so I wear this symbol on a chain (aside my Crucifix) being I could not find a Buddhist Om pendant.
5. "Om Mani Padme Hum" written in Tibetan. Important mantra said to imbody all of Buddha's teachings. I believe it is associated with the Six Paramitas (Perfections) being it's a six syllable mantra, though I honestly can be wrong. It is often translated as "Jewel in the Lotus" though it cannot be accurately translated and its interpretation varies.
6. "Eyes of Buddha." The all-seeing eyes; sees Truth in all.
7. Sketch off my Rasberry Snapple Bottle.
8. Sketch off my Rasberry Snapple Bottle. I know you're thinking, "What the fuck does Snapple have to do with Buddhism?" Well, it's very simple, if Snapple was around during Siddhartha Guatma's (Buddha) time on earth, I'm sure he would have drank it! After all, "It's Made From the Best Stuff on Earth!"
Much Love,
V.J. Coppola
(Note: I actually prefer Arizona brand over Snapple, especially the Mucho Mango. Arizona is healthier, taste better, and is cheaper. I also believe Buddha would have prefered Arizona as well.)





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the images. (I had to right click and select view images to see them. is it my browser problem?)

    ReplyDelete